Dear daddy and mummy

By Gillian Yoong ♥ - Friday, March 14, 2014

Dear mummy and daddy,

Firstly, I'm sorry for being such a huge disappointment to you. Sorry for being disobedient, defiant and giving you a lot of problems and making myself such a burden to you most of the time. I know I did not turn out to be that kind of daughter you guys brought me up to be and I know how disappointed you guys might have felt. Therefore, I'm sorry.

Dad, you often travel a lot and I don’t get to interact with you more than mummy. Even when you’re in Singapore, we hardly interact because you’d be playing with your computer games while I’ll be fidgeting with my gadgets. We hardly had any bonding session at all and you don’t often interfere with or cared about my life. However,  I still vividly remember how ironic it was when you scolded and punished me till I cried, but subsequently, you’d try to make me laugh again and apologise to me for making me cry. I still remember how you taught me to ride a 2-wheeled bicycle, how you taught me math, how you'd always buy me game-boys and gadgets for me to play with, how you'd often take care of me and fetch me from school when you had work as I'm always falling sick, how you brought me to different types of doctors when I was really sick as well, how you bribed me by buying me a barbie doll if I took an injection when I was only 6, how you'd often do things for me which mummy wouldn't approve or like, and most of all, how you were there to listen to me and comfort me when I was really depressed with my own personal problems and I'm so thankful for that. I just want to let you know that you’re an awesome dad and I feel so proud to have you as my dad whenever I see you doing charitable work most of the time like donating your blood every single year without fail and how you’d often give me $2, asking me to give it to those people who were earning a living by performing in public. Dad, I know that I'm a grown-up girl now and there are certain phase in life which I would have to make decisions for myself, for my own life and I know that I would have to be independent as I couldn't possibly rely on you forever. Even though we might have fallen out a few times and you made me dislike you at times, I'm still thankful to have you as my dad in this life and I would definitely want to have you as my dad again if I was reincarnated.

Mum, I have so many things I would want to say to you. Firstly, I'm sorry. Sorry for making you cry, sorry for shouting at you, sorry for hurling vulgarities at you, I'm basically sorry for every single unhappy thing which I had made you gone through and all the hurt that I have inflicted on you.  Ever since 婆婆 passed away, I know that you’re struggling really hard to raise the 3 of us. Daddy was often overseas and no one was there to help you. 婆婆’s death was really sudden and I could really see how traumatizing it was for you as 婆婆 was often there to help you out. But when she’s no longer here anymore, you had to keep on going and persevere. It is understandable now that I think logically, why your attitude had changed towards me ever since 婆婆 left and I realised that it was because you had too much to handle and it was just too much for you. We often fell out the majority of the time and we just couldn't get along well because neither of us would give in. But mummy, I just want to say thank you for being such a strong woman, thank you for not giving up on me, thank you for spending so much money on me, and thank you so much for giving me this golden opportunity to learn the piano ever since I was 4. Despite how you’d always threaten me and force me to practice the piano with the cane, I've managed to achieve plenty of certificates which I'm able to be proud of and help me later on with my life, for example, using them for my upcoming Direct Poly Admission. You also made me do things on my own so as to build me up into an independent person. Like how you made me wash my own laundry, hang my own laundry, iron my own clothes, wash my own dishes, just basically making me do everything on my own ever since I was 13. I'm really thankful to have you as my mum, as you are the main person who taught me so many values in life, like to give and take, not to do things at the expense of others, be considerate, be independent, think for others, so on and so forth. You are equally as awesome as daddy as well and I'm proud to have you as my mum too. You’ll often help out people pretty much most of the time, like how you buy tissues from elderly or handicap people by the roadside and telling them to keep the change, even when you already had enough tissues, how you helped the blind people by taking their hand and bringing them to the place they want to go when they needed help as no one was there to lend them a helping hand at all, how you often gave up your seat to people who are in need on the train even when you’re really exhausted, and I'm just so proud to have such an amazing mum like you and I'm glad to be able to show off to others and feel great about how I have such a great and awesome mum who has taught me and practised so many great values which are significant in life.

Daddy and mummy, the last thing which I want to say is, we may not look even the slightest bit alike, however, what I realised after writing this is that we have the most identical attitude, character, and behaviour and this clearly shows how the both of you are indeed my parents. Like how daddy and I are really stubborn and hard-headed and we refuse to change our minds once we have made them up no matter what and mummy, how your character and mine are exactly the same. Like how you often hurl hurtful words at me but I know you don’t mean it at all, how you show me, love, through actions but not words, how you often say no to my request but fulfill it the majority of the time, how you are so soft-hearted and kind. We are really similar in almost every aspect of our characters. Adding your character, behaviour and attitude and daddy’s stubbornness as well totally makes up me and there’s no doubt that you guys are indeed my parents. Literally, everyone says how I don’t look like my parents at all and I might be adopted. However, from this, I learned that we don’t have to look like our parents at all, to show that we are definitely our parent’s child. We don’t have to be alike on the outside, because what’s on the inside matters significantly as well.

Daddy and mummy, I'm sorry, thank you and I love you.

P.s. I wrote this because I had attended a motivational workshop and the talk has triggered me to write this. I don't want to regret doing things that I could before, but I didn't. I want to do things before it's too late. Life is always unpredictable, you never know when your loved ones might leave, you can choose to avoid this reality but know that such things are inevitable.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is beautiful Gillian! =) Don't just leave this on your blog though... Tell them! I'm sure they'll be very touched!!

    And also like I've mentioned before, you're really, really sensible for your age! Don't beat yourself up over going through a rebellious phase when you were a tween though... It's pretty normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah thank you so much for your encouraging comment ! Appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete